Our college years play a huge role in shaping us as a person. It is a great place where we will learn a lot even outside the four walls of our classroom. Of course, you want to make sure that you have all of your essentials on you before you start your college journey, and out of the many things that you will need, a laptop is an absolute necessity regardless of your majors. So, if you are in need of a laptop and don’t know where to start, you can start by looking through the best laptops for college students as a starting point.
Top 5 Best Laptops For College Students in 2021
- Cutting-edge security: State-of-the-art security features include webcam kill switch and...
- 4K display: 13.3-inch diagonal 4K IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touchscreen with durable...
- NEWEST 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U + NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5 dedicated),...
- 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB), 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera...
- Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 laptop
- Weight: 3. 220 lbs
- Display: 13.3" Fhd (1920x1080)
- Cpu: Intel Core i5-8265u 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.9GHz)
- 1.8 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Processor
- Intel HD Graphics 6000
Why Laptops Are Essential
There is no denying the fact that we are all virtually dependent on our smart devices to do a number of different things, be it work, socializing, studying and even interacting with new people. Our laptop essentially allows us to do everything on a bigger screen as opposed to glaring over our small phone screen and straining our eyes.
College requires you to spend a lot of your time behind a computer, regardless of whether you are going through a pdf reading, making an assignment, writing an essay, studying for exams, making a presentation or anything else really. So, our laptops play an essential part in everything that we do during our time in college.
Also, do not be deluded into thinking that being in a different major exempts you from having to use your laptop, because you will find that regardless of their major or field of interest, no matter how unconventional or different it might be, you will still need a laptop to make it through college.
Expensive Does Not Mean The Best
A lot of college students feel pressured into buying a Mac or an expensive Windows based laptop, and that should not be the case. Of course, if you can afford an expensive laptop and genuinely want an expensive laptop then you can buy one. However, if you are on a budget or don’t want to spend a lot, then you can do that too. You can easily find a laptop under $500 that is able to work just as well and will get you through the long years of college. You just want to make sure that your laptop has all of the basics like web browsing, email, word processing and so on. However, your choice of majors can affect the kind of laptop you buy as well.
How Your Major Factors Into The Situation
Different majors and fields have different needs and demands. Some majors like a business major may not require an overly expensive laptop and only needs a laptop that is able to handle things like word processing, excel, and so on. However, at the same time, there are other fields and majors that rely more heavily on computer work and it is with majors like these that you have to be careful of the kind of laptop you buy. We will list down a few examples below so that you get a more basic idea.
- If you happen to work in a field of graphic design where you might deal with animations, especially 3D animations, or if you are working with video editing or any sort of media studies field, you will want to make sure that your laptop has a system with a lot of RAM, a high-end processor, a graphics card, and a solid-state hard drive and so on. A laptop that has these kinds of specifications will automatically be a bit more expensive than a standard or basic laptop model.
- If you have to use your laptop for a full session, then you will have to go for a laptop that offers great battery life. Depending on the brand and the model, some laptops have an 8-11 hour battery life after being charged. A battery life this long is very useful for people who have to use their laptops throughout most of their classes and cannot be bothered to carry a charger around with them.
- If you are in a field that requires sketching or working with digital artwork, then you might find a 2-in-1 laptop to be more convenient for you since you can just turn the screen into a tablet and then sketch away on that. This makes the screen easier to handle for you.
- If you are working with software designs, coding, or anything that is tech-related, you want a laptop that is able to support whatever you are doing. For this purpose, you will need a laptop that offers you the best possible processor. This allows you to run different programs on your laptop smoothly and without any unnecessary lags or issues.
Don’t Forget to Research
Of course, if you still find yourself feeling unsure and need a more concrete direction to go towards, you will have to do a little more research and ask around other people and their experiences with their laptop and whether or not they would recommend it for college and so on. This way you are able to get a bunch of different opinions on the matter and will be able to form a better idea of what you want or at least what you should be looking for the next time you find yourself waltzing into a tech store.
Black Friday is currently around the corner, and if you already happen to be on a budget, then this is the best time for you to get your laptop since prices will be slashed down, and if you are quick and lucky enough, you can end up getting a great laptop for a very good price. So, make sure to do all of your research and prep work beforehand, and then wait for Black Friday so that you can end up saving a lot of extra money, and still get a good laptop at the end of the day.